Manifestations selected Best of Graduates 2017:
This year Manifestations presents the Young Talent Award. Since we started, it has always been one of our main objects to create a platform for the young and talented artists.
This year the nominees will show their exam-works at Veemgebouw and Bibliotheek Eindhoven.
Judging will take place Sunday, October 22. The winner will be announced Sunday 22, at 16:30 by Jonathan Maas (journalist and more VPRO & Trouw), Katja Lucas (programme manager of the Dutch Design Week), Iskander Smit (Innovator, ThingsCon).
Nice to know: most nominees are female.
This year’s nominees:
- Juul Koene (ArtEZ Arnhem)
- Missy Skae (ArtEZ Arnhem)
- Merel Raven (ArtEZ Arnhem)
- Amy Whittle (ArtEZ Arnhem)
- Aranka Agatha (ArtEZ Arnhem)
- Channin (ArtEZ Arnhem)
- Debbie Lambrechts (ArtEZ Zwolle)
- Robbin Veldman (ArtEZ Zwolle)
- PEN (Rietveld Academie Amsterdam)
- Ziynet Hidiroglu (Rietveld Academie Amsterdam)
- Dominica Chen (Rietveld Academie Amsterdam)
- Emma Walch (Rietveld Academie Amsterdam)
- Alice Heron (Rietveld Academie Amsterdam)
- Teun Seuren (HKU Utrecht)
- Jip van Leeuwenstein (HKU Utrecht)
- Luuk Klawer (HKU Utrecht)
- Laetitia Roling (HKU Utrecht)
- JeSuus (St Joost Den Bosch)
- Jeroen Nissen (St Joost Den Bosch)
- Tim Verbakel (St Joost Den Bosch)
- Manus Nijhoff (KABK Den Haag)
- Katerina Gaidamaka (KABK Den Haag)
- Arthur Boer (WDKA Rotterdam)
- Boris Smeenk (WDKA Rotterdam)
- Iiris Sointu (WDKA Rotterdam)
- Yvette de Wit (WDKA Rotterdam)
- Folkert Koelewijn (WDKA Rotterdam)
- Jochem van Schip (WDKA Rotterdam)
- Myrna Out (WDKA Rotterdam)
- Fay Klaassen (WDKA Rotterdam)
- Veerle Kluijfhout (WDKA Rotterdam)
- Tim Demper (WDKA Rotterdam)
- Dennis Bijleveld (WDKA Rotterdam)
Winners Manifestations Talent Award 2016
The jury (Bruce Sterling, Katja Lucas, Sacha Bronwasser) was impressed by the variety and quality of the projects selected by curator Viola van Alphen. The graduates all show great creative use of technology alongside a thorough human approach – a hopeful tendency.
We choose to award two artists that we consider to be very promising and that both pushed their boundaries in this graduation project.
Special mention goes to: Elizaveta Pritychenko, (Welcome to the Desert of the Real) for an imaginative treatment of a well-known postmodern historical concept. Her VR-version of Baudrillards ‘Desert of the Real’, which she constructed from scrap within a few months, shows a whole new, visual approach of a philosophical notion.
The Manifestations Young Talent Award goes to: Robin Alysha Clemens (Owned by No One), for its audacious preview on the future of a current crisis – identity and anonymity in an oppressive society – ; for its thorough concept in both visual language and text; for its consistency in idea and execution. The question Clemens raises is urgent: what is privacy if one wipes out identity? The subculture she describes looks alarmingly familiar, from its looks and props down to its ideas, put in a well-executed manifesto. This combination, and the fact that she managed to organize her world with real people and a real event, makes her stand out in this competition.